Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Thank you, Wauchula Elementary School!

I had so many great school visits this year. Thank you to all the librarians and teachers who invited me, who read my books aloud, who inspired such great discussions and projects.

My last school visit of 2015 was memorable. It was the first time I'd spoken to so many students who'd all read THE WAY TO STAY IN DESTINY.

From the drive across the state through Florida's strawberry and citrus fields, I made my way to the little town with a lot of enthusiastic readers, Wauchula, Florida. Enthusiastic readers, great teachers, and one really fantastic librarian.

Here's my day, in pictures.

Even before I arrived, the kids had been reading, thinking, imagining and dreaming.

I loved these giant keyboards that filled the walls!




Each student wrote a dream on a key.
Dreaming big, just like Theo.





In the run-up to my visit, not only had the students and their teachers read my book, Mary Idsardi, super librarian, produced a piano recital!

Check out "Theo's" baseball bat.


Doesn't he look just like the Book Fair/ club edition's fabulous cover?





Now this was no ordinary recital.



The program.



The playlist. Be still my heart.
















A Vietnam veteran spoke to the classes. 
And they raised money for the Wounded Warriors.




Truly a special day. Thanks, Wauchula Elementary!


 (The bookshelves, right next to me.)

(I love that t-shirt.)


All the way home, I thought about those kids, 
my home state, Theo and Miss Sister. 
About how difficult and challenging it is to move to a new place.
(My car's GPS, guiding me all the way, 
so I could think about something other than what road to take...)


Writers appreciate how hard it is to organize a school visit so well. 
And how important it is. 

We really and truly appreciate all the work that goes into making these days special for your students. 

Have a great holiday break, librarian and teacher friends!


3 comments:

Carol Baldwin said...

Augusta, thanks for sharing your day with us. This school is incredible. I'm glad they enjoyed your book and SHOWED (not told) you how much they loved it. Smiling for you. Carol

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

Such a lovely day! And an amazing school! I love the piano keys with their dreams written on them. :-)

Augusta Scattergood said...

Thanks, Kimberley and Carol. It was so much fun- And happy holidays to you!