Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Thank you, Pope Elementary

Skyping is so much fun!

This week a great group of readers from Jackson, Tennessee, appeared on my screen, fully prepared to present me with their reaction to THE WAY TO STAY IN DESTINY.

The first thing I saw upon answering their Skype call? A whole room full of kids waving their copies of "Destiny" in the air.


And then they held up illustrations and explained why they'd chosen that moment to feature. 

Here they are. 
(Apologies in advance. My Skype image was a little fuzzy that day.)

Here we go!



 Green birds!
(Guess what? They're making a lot of noise right outside my window today.)


  Mr. Dawson and his Bait Shop. 
This student told me she thought he played an important role in the book.
I confessed that he is a character I like a lot. Even if he had to be beefed up when I edited.


 The piano. No explanation needed!


 Bird's eye view of the piano (no pun intended), modeled after the book cover image.



Thank YOU, Pope Elementary!

And a special thanks to my friends at Scholastic who made this particular Skype event possible.

2 comments:

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks for sharing this, Augusta. Glad they enjoyed Destiny as much as I did!

Augusta Scattergood said...

Thanks, Carol. You'll see- it's so gratifying to get your book into the hands of real kids!