Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Opening the Book

Is there anything better than a beginning? Beginnings of many things-- with the possible exception of a head cold or a tick bite (both of which I had last week...). But since this is a book-related blog, I mean here, the beginning of a book.



Having read a few reviews that piqued my interest, I raced on over to the library (OK, I clicked on over to their website) to reserve THE STORY OF EDGAR SAWTELLE. I had to wait a while to move up on the list, but yesterday the book arrived and I brought it home.



I love the mystery of a book's beginning. Where will we go on this journey? Why does Chapter 1 open in Korea, 1952? From the reviews, I thought I'd be reading about dogs, Wisconsin, farms, a family. But wait. Read on. By page 9, I was hooked, reading about Edgar's grandfather and his "extra share of whimsy." The words! The family's story! The dogs! And most of all, the amazing writing. I stayed up way too late and am now fighting the urge to move away from my work at this computer and read some more.



This is why I love good beginnings. For me, there're all optimism and anticipation, a sense that the book will take me on a new journey, entertain me, teach me. I can sense that this is a book to be savored. I think I will return this library copy for others to enjoy and hustle on over to the bookstore for my own. Then I really love opening a book, the fresh cover and the never-turned pages, the stiff spine, the smell, the new words.

1 comment:

ann bushe said...

Gusty, this is so much fun. Love the tone of this.