Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Monday, July 28, 2008

"Take Me Out to the Ballgame"

Perhaps a little-known market for articles written for kids? KidSpot in the Christian Science Monitor. During baseball's All Star game week, they published a piece I wrote about the song "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." That short piece had a long germination period. I think it was over two years ago that I first heard about the song on NPR while driving in the car. All I could do was scribble myself a note, but my curiosity was piqued, big time. After all, the famous song was about to celebrate an anniversary and it was written on a NYC subway by a man who didn't know much about baseball.


Being a former reference librarian, I took to the library (both real and cyber) and found out more. I'd already begun to hang out in the baseball section, researching Mickey Mantle for my WIP about spring training, kind of. So this was fun research!


I submitted the piece to a children's magazine that had previously published my work and they love references. But after missing one baseball season while they considered it, I decided to look elsewhere for a market when I realized it was going to miss baseball season again-- and its 100th anniversary!


Check out the writers' guidelines for KidSpot. They are looking for short non-fiction pieces. Just the kind of work a former school and reference librarian, and a baseball fan, craves.

No comments: