Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Food, Once Again

So maybe food is sneaking its way into my brain more than usual. Could be reading about all those French restaurants, or maybe just being in New Jersey, surrounded by great food choices.
Last night we ate at our favorite Italian place with our favorite NJ dinner companions. Zucchini blossom and goat cheese appetizer, shrimp and white beans, cheese cake! Don't get me wrong, I love grouper sandwiches and real ice tea but there are a few good things, besides not pumping my own gas, that I miss when in Florida (cannoli, broccoli rabe and sausage, BYO wine, to name a few).

Then today I read this terrific review of Artisan Cheese of the Pacific Northwest by Tami Parr. If you click on that link, you'll also be directed to her food blog.

Love this sentence, from the review:

Cheese, once you get beyond the basics of sharp, nutty, creamy, is an unusually tough food to bring to the page. Parr is one of the rare writers who have mastered the skill of translating its flavors into words.

Yes it is hard to write well about food. But what a treat to read. Think I'll check back on that cheese blog often. And can't wait to read the book. A whole book about cheese!


No comments: