Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Friday, September 11, 2009

Another September 11th

I guess there are a lot of us who will wake up every September 11th, for as long as we live, and remember what it was like, where we were, who we were worried about in 2001. Today seems different somehow. For one thing, it's dreary, and gloomy rain has been coming down steadily all morning. On other September 11ths, when the sun was bright and the flags were everywhere, I was always reminded of the day we'll never forget.

Today we turned on the TV and heard Mayor Bloomberg tell us that this will be a day of service, from now on. I like that idea and hope it works. I read all the comments from my Facebook friends, remembering people they'd lost, remarking about how long it has been. And I read the front page of the New York Times, the article about how the city never thought they'd get to September 12 and beyond. Yet, here we are.

We're going to the Museum of Modern Art, to dinner, to walk around the city tomorrow. Taking the train with friends. All those things that some predicted we'd never do without fear.

So even though I'm not seeing the sunshine and the flags today, I'm still remembering.

Related post: A Beautiful September Day

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so right, it is very much like when Kennedy was shot. That day was so surreal, yet so real. I imagine that's how people felt about Pearl Harbor too. It must be odd to live long enough to see such an important day in your life become relegated to history books, rather than remembered ( like 9/11), but generations to come just didn't experience that impact in their lives.
Teddie