Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Character Naming

You'd have to be living in a newspaper/computer/TV-less world this week not to have seen the recent story about the most popular baby names. It was everywhere. Yes, there's the whole Isabella and Jacob thing, as it relates to the Twilight movies and books. But writers have known for a while about the usefulness of baby name sites for choosing character names. Matching a name and a character can change the way you think about your people!

Click here for an interesting post from Darcy Pattison's always helpful writing blog.

Don't forget to check the Social Security Administration site, as she recommends. And ponder her comment about how popular President Obama's girls' names are becoming!

Here's an earlier posting of mine about naming characters in books. Makes me realize how long I've been living with some of my fictional people.

1 comment:

Lee Stokes Hilton said...

I remember going around and around with the names. Frustrating, but fond memories. And I think Glory came out just right. Amazing how much a name change can alter your perception of a character.