Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Ann Patchett, again

Yes, I'm a fan of everything I've ever read by Ann Patchett.
Recently, on a very long plane ride, I reread something I'd downloaded eons ago. And it was so worth a second read.

Do you know this little e-book?

THE GETAWAY CAR: A PRACTICAL MEMOIR ABOUT WRITING AND LIFE

For today at least, this is one of my favorite quotes from the piece:
"The more we are willing to separate from distraction and step into the open arms of boredom, the more writing will get on the page."

You must own a Kindle or perhaps have a Kindle app on your tablet to read it. 
But it's only $2.99 as a Kindle Single.

Or you can see what others have said, and read their favorite quotes.

HERE: http://www.alexgeorgebooks.com/words-of-wisdom-from-ann-patchett/

Or HERE: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jacketcopy/2011/08/ann-patchetts-lessons-on-writing-from-byliner.html

Here's a longer piece from the publisher of The Runaway Car.
https://www.byliner.com/ann-patchett/stories/excerpt-the-getaway-car



Previous related Ann Patchett post:
What Now?

2 comments:

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

Kind of weird/funny to see your post today. *Just* last night I was telling my husband about STATE OF WONDER . . . he's driving to Colorado for a work conference and wanted a book on tape for the road.

I really need to read more Ann Patchett! I am GROANING under PILES AND PILES AND PILES of books to read, and lately, my workload is so heavy I'm not getting in any reading time at all. :-(

Augusta Scattergood said...

You need a trip, Kimberley! I read a lot on planes and trains and automobiles. ;)