Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Writing Tip Tuesdays

Yes, I know, it's not Tuesday.

And I'm not offering fantastic tips every Tuesday either.

But somebody is. Click over to Barbara O'Connor's blog and search for these gems. Seriously.
They are simple, helpful, elegant, funny ways to think about writing craft, from both Barbara and her vast collection of writing resources.

Here's the latest:

http://www.greetings-from-nowhere.blogspot.com/2013/04/writing-tip-tuesday.html

About the voice of your novel. No, not the author's voice. Not a character's voice.

This is how Barbara ends her short lesson on "book voice"--

But those are really descriptions of mood - which I think is an element of book voice.
Other elements are the rhythm, the pace, the overall tone, the word choice - most of the same elements that make up writing voice.
Once I know the book voice, it's a heck of a lot easier to move forward with the stuff I'm not 100% sure of.
So - my tip?
Be sure of the voice of your book from the get-go. If you waffle along between edgy, humorous, dramatic, sad, upbeat, etc. - your struggle will be greater and your outcome not as rewarding.
  

I'm a big believer in learning from the best. 
Click for another, just for fun. The mighty Catalyst!

Seriously, check out all of her Tuesday Tips for the best lessons about 
How to Get Writing Right.





 (One of my personal favorites, of her many many middle-grade novels.
Guess I'm a sucker for Nostalgia...)









No comments: