Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Monday, March 19, 2018

Monday's Reading

This is the book I've been reading all week.
I want to encourage my teacher and librarian friends everywhere to rush right out and get your own copy. I can practically hear the discussions, the projects, the thoughtful poetry it will inspire!

There are so many memorable moments in the exchanges between these two poets that it's hard to single out one line, one verse, even one poem. But there was something about Charles's words in DINNER CONVERSATION, that really made me smile. Perhaps it was that wink from Grandma. 



Irene's poem, APOLOGY, tugged at my heart. 

I swallow.
I want to say
I'm
          sorry,
but those words are so small for something so big.

If you haven't listened to the podcast, you must!  Here's a link to Travis Jonker's excellent interview via his School Library Journal podcast. (You can also find the Teachers' Guide on this site.)

And the Kirkus review= a star!

A word on the paint, pencil and collage illustrations by Sean Qualls and Selina Alko.
Perfect.



 

10 comments:

S. Mozer said...

Thanks for sharing this important book. I can't wait to find a copy.

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

I heard about Can I Touch Your Hair several weeks back and it sounded intriguing. I'm opening the School Library Journal link so I can listen in later, today. Thanks for sharing!

Cheriee Weichel said...

Thanks for the heads up about this book. My library has it on order and I've just put a hold on it.

Rosi said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book. Charles is a good friend and a prince of a guy and such a good writer. I met him at Highlights years ago, and then a couple years ago, we took a workshop there together. I don't know his writing partner, but her poetry is amazing. Glad to see the word being spread.

Linda B said...

I have Irene's and Charles' book, and love it, shared it with my granddaughter's class who also enjoyed it very much. Glad to hear from you about it, too!

Michele Knott said...

Yes! I loved this book so much! I read it to a 4th grade class for bookaday and I could tell the students liked it, but we didn't have time to talk about it before they were off to a specials class. That was my biggest regret! I left it in their classroom hoping some students will return to it.

Unknown said...

Initially, I thought this was a picture book - interesting to discover it's actually a novel-in-verse. I hope to get to this one soonest. :)

Augusta Scattergood said...

Glad to see how many others are as excited about this book as I am. And Myra, it's a very short novel-in-verse! Could easily be read aloud all at once, or the poems stand alone as inspiration for young writers. It's a book you'll return to more than once!

Jana The Teacher said...

I just put in a request at my library for Can I Touch Your Hair. I'm definitely looking forward to reading this one. Have a terrific week!

Carol Baldwin said...

just put on my TBR list. thanks!