Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Monday, May 31, 2021

What I'm Reading and Recommending

I've been sadly lacking in my reading of kids' books lately. Haven't read a middle-grade novel or even a picture book in a while.

Ah, life, right?

But we have a family birthday coming up- with party!- and the Birthday Boy loves books. When I saw this one, I had to have it. 

 

 
 
I'm only a little bit into it but I LOVE THIS BOOK.

First of all, Pompeii. Then a strong man who literally lifted heavy objects and moved them to safety. Or at least to where they could be looted more easily. 

I'm sure all my librarian friends already know this and other cool-sounding titles by Sarah Albee. But for those of us who don't read a lot of kids' non-fiction (anymore! I read a lot of it when I was a school librarian), this would be a fun place to start. Her turns of phrase (turn of phrases?), her sense of humor, her deep digs - pun intended!-have kept me glued to the book.

Okay, glued may be too strong. I'd be glued if I could.

But I do dip into it every day and often find myself reading more than I'd planned. Plus, deadline- Birthday Boy needs the book!

I'm reading a lot of thriller/ detective/ mystery books still. My escape into the world of adults. 

 This book is getting rave reviews and I'd love to know if anyone else has read it. 

 


 It was a page-turner all right. Great writing, good story. BUT...

(not exactly a spoiler alert coming up, but you can avert your eyes if you're reading or about to read)

Did anybody else see the plot twist coming?  Maybe it's because I've been reading waaaay too many "thrillers" during the past year. Maybe it's the writer in me. But the breadcrumbs were there for the following and that's all I'm saying. Feel free to comment!

Even so, the excellent writing made it worth reading. I appreciate NetGalley for giving me an early read. It's just out and available for purchase.

My friend Shannon Hitchcock- who's written a few books herself!- posted a picture of a book she'd found in a vacation rental that she said was a perfect distraction, or at least a very good beach read. This is not a genre I read much of but if you're looking for short and funny and even surprising in its own way, check out this series. 


 



I think there about a zillion books by this author listed at my library.

Speaking of my library. Thank you, Libby App

I would not have survived the past year + without you, my friend.


Funny aside: One summer I worked as a library intern for the Mississippi Library Commission. Wow, talk about eyes opening! But one thing I learned is that these "Regency Romances" were  very, very popular. Took up a huge bookcase and they traveled in and out of the library with great speed. All the little old ladies loved them. 

Oh dear.

Have I become a little old lady?

 


 


5 comments:

Max @ Completely Full Bookshelf said...

Welcome back! I’m glad you had a chance to read some kidlit recently. Accidental Archaeologists sounds like a great read, and I hope you get it finished up by the deadline! ;) The Plot sounds like it has a fascinating premise, and I’m glad you enjoyed it! The Miser of Mayfair sounds fun as well, though I wouldn’t worry that enjoying it says anything in particular about you! Thank you for the great post!

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Just added The Plot to my Overdrive queue.

Cheriee Weichel said...

Accidental Archaeologists looks like a fantastic gift. I have read MC Beaton, but not for years years. I remember that her books were full of humour. One of her series with a male detective was turned into a TV series. It was from Scotland and it took me forever to figure out what they were saying because of the accent. Happy Reading this week.

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

I absolutely agree on the Libby App. I don't know how I would have made it through the pandemic without it. In fact, during the fall semester, I taught a children's literature course where my college students usually read 250+ books in 15 weeks during any normal year. But with so many libraries closed (or only allowing 3 books at a time), there's no way they could have come remotely close to that number by the end of the semester without e-library options. Libby to the rescue!! In any case, my Overdrive library has Accidental Archaeologists and I'm also putting The Plot on my wishlist through Libby. Thanks for the heads-up, Augusta!

Rosi said...

I've seen Accidental Archaeologists and am interested in reading it. It's on my staggering TBR list, but I hope to get to it soon. I don't have time to read many adult books. Thanks for the post.