Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Thursday, April 21, 2022

April is Poetry Month

 When I lived and worked in New Jersey, one of the (few) things I loved about April was celebrating poetry. 

    Put a Poem in Your Pocket

    a Poetry Assembly

    Reading all the fun, funny, poignant poems shared here and there. 

That and a few forced forsythias kept me smiling through what was often dreary weather.

Fast forward a few years and we've found ourselves back on the East Coast in a more southerly spot, Washington DC.

Where the weather is more agreeable and the flowers are earlier. So April is fast becoming a favorite month. And there's still POETRY to be shared. Now I'm sharing it with one of my dearest friends.

The idea came when Judith Viorst addressed a group I was part of. At the end, a questioner asked her how she kept so sharp. Sudoku? Crossword puzzles? 

Nope, she memorizes poetry!

I was all over that. So now my friend Beverly and I memorize a FEW VERSES AT A TIME of a favorite poem. We both agree that this was something we did in Mrs. Glassco's senior English class, from Robert Burns to William Wordsworth, and a lot in between (not so much after, however). 

Her first poem contained many stanzas. Christopher Marlowe! She learned them all!       (But I have too much fluff in my brain! Like how to drive to the nearest CVS, or the library, or Beverly's house! Driving directions, among many other new things, are clogging my brain.)

So mine was a more modest attempt, Mary Oliver.

 

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhu1WK27kj2ViBRAnRowBKK2-8qH-4ocSS96MtT2eOMNts3R1EWsJYT0sABZyNdWLbmNVg835vhsKrou8bZLygATQSdGT4IJKv7VPIzv9XDztTQVn2xHGu99t8qkvfHkEnDQJ-pckjCmbc/s400/Freshen+the+Flowers+Mary+Oliver+Why+I+wake+Early.jpg

My new choice is a short, wonderfully metered Emily Dickinson verse.   

(Note to self. Easier to memorize poems that rhyme.)

Oh, and I didn't find this week's selection, "Hope is the thing with feathers" this way but I loved reading this, about her poetry just now in Publisher's Weekly.

It's been a long time and not-so-many words since I last blogged. But I want to keep up with these poems so I'm going to attempt to track them here. Stay with me if you'd like and tell me your favorite poem. 

Have you memorized anything lately? 

Do kids even do this in school? 

4 comments:

BJW said...

Yay! You’re back!

Carol Baldwin said...

I was just wondering about not hearing from you in awhile. Glad to see you back. SO, you moved north again? Florida too hot??

Rosi said...

Nice to see you back to blogging, Augusta. I don't memorize anything. My brain, at my age, doesn't do well at memorizing, but I'm sure it is a good exercise for many. Thanks for a fun post.

Augusta Scattergood said...

Thanks for stopping by and noticing my absence! :)
I'm going to try to do better but I do often wonder if my posts disappear into neverneverland. Make that NetherNetherland! So it's nice to "see" my old friends back again.