Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Monday, November 29, 2021

A New Resource

 Yes, it's still MONDAY and you may be asking WHAT AM I READING?

 It's been a while since I posted for #IMWAYR.

But that doesn't mean I'm not reading like crazy!

Today I'll share a new resource you teachers and librarians out there might not know about. But it's fun to play around with.  Booklists on all sorts of topics.

This is my contribution:

https://shepherd.com/best-books/kids-baseball-books-about-more-than-baseball 

Baseball books!

So, what else am I reading?

I just finished my friend Susan Hill Long's latest, THE CARE AND KEEPING OF FREDDY.

 


 

Oh what fun this brand new middle-grade novel is. But fun with heart. So much heart.

It made me smile but it also made me think. There is so much to discuss with kids in this story.

What would a young girl do in a family like Georgia's? 

How do friends help us make important life decisions when we're young?   

And for those writers among us: How do you develop a character like Georgia's mother and make her believable?

Sue is brilliant at craft and characters. I love this book.

5 comments:

Linda B said...

Hi Augusta, I just read your baseball book list, some I knew, but loved reading about the Kadir Nelson book. And thanks for this new book shared here. I put it on my list, sounds so intriguing. Thanks!

Rosi said...

Ah, a list of baseball MG books. Always welcome. Of them, I have read only your book and Al Capone Does My Shirts. I would recommend to you Diamonds in the Dust by Katherine Fitzmaurice and Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt. These are two of my favorite MG books that feature baseball. I'll put The Care and Feeding of Freddy on my list. Thanks for the post.

Max @ Completely Full Bookshelf said...

Your list of baseball books is excellent—and that website you posted it on, Shepherd, looks really cool as well! And The Care and Keeping of Freddy sounds like a wonderful read as well. Thanks so much for the great post!

Cheriee Weichel said...

Thanks for the introduction to this book. It's now on my list. Like other's have mentioned, I appreciated your list of baseball books. Most of them I knew about. One of my favourite baseball books is The Aurora County All-Stars by Deborah Wiles.

Augusta Scattergood said...

I'm a big fan of Deborah Wiles's novels and Rosi, how could I forget OKAY FOR NOW! Love that one. Thanks for your comments, everybody!