Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Saturday, May 16, 2009

SCBWI Land

If you're writing for children, or interested in knowing all there is to know about the topic, this is the organization for you. The Society for Children's Writers and Illustrators is how I found a random group of writer friends when we relocated to St. Petersburg, Florida, and I was missing my New Jersey connections. How I learned so much about the actual business of writing, and its many challenges, from the evenings I took the train to New York and rubbed shoulders with so many great writers, editors, publishers at that chapter's Professional Series. All good things in the development of a writer.

Last year my friend Mona Kerby alerted me to her Western Maryland July conference, and it was one of the best of its kind. Click here to read my posting from those two fabulous, fantastic days with Mona and her bunch. And my thoughts on the entertaining and informational keynote by Cynthia Lord. Really a terrific two days. I'm working on getting back there again this summer. The application has just gone up on their website.

Alas, the Florida SCBWI's conference deadline for applications passed this week. But we'll be back north by then anyhow. All my new Florida SCBWI buddies are just going to have to report back as it sounds quite good also.

So - potential kids' book people- get yourself over to the SCBWI website, join up, and check out your local group. You might even have time to register for your regional conference-- or interlope on another--and come back a changed person! Or at least an inspired writer.

No comments: