Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Summer Re-Reading: Eudora Welty

This is Miss Eudora's 100th birthday year. And there's all sorts of happenings in her hometown of Jackson, MS., including an exhibit I was lucky enough to see at the Mississippi Museum of Art. Click here to read about it and see some of the terrific photographs.

My summer plan is to re-visit some of my favorite Eudora Welty stories. Richard Ford was recently interviewed in Newsweek and chose his five most essential books. Her stories were in his top five and here's what he said about her writing:

"Proves you can do remarkable things if you just stay home and do them."

I'll say, remarkable! Definitely worth considering, wouldn't you agree?

1 comment:

Joyce Moyer Hostetter said...

Did you see you won Comfort? I know you said to give it to someone else but I thought you might want to give it to a school or library who might not have the funds.

YOur decision. I can donate it to someone else if you like - send to a library in New Orleans or something like that.

I'll need an address if you want me to send it to you.