Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Quaker Motto Calendar

Please note: there are newer entries, with updated information for ordering! Click here for 2013 info.
http://ascattergood.blogspot.com/2012/11/quaker-motto-calendar.html


This morning, a few days late, I turned to October in my favorite calendar, and the quote seemed apt. I'd just spent several sunny afternoons last week watching the monarchs migrate through North Carolina.

Here's a Nathaniel Hawthorne quotation from October's calendar:

Happiness is a butterfly, which, when pursued, is always just beyond your grasp, but which, if you sit down quietly may light upon you.

In 1884 Thomas Scattergood initiated these little gems known to many as "Quaker Motto Calendars." My sisters-in-law have continued the family tradition of compiling them. Although the old address still works for a while, this year there's a new address for ordering the 2010 calendars.

THE MOTTO CALENDARPO Box 1383 Pottstown, PA 19464

They are the perfect size to fit into a large Christmas or greeting card. They are exceptionally realistically priced:
25 envelopes and calendars for $28.00
(without envelopes, $25.00)

If you order 50, the price goes down to $46 and $40! You can order as few as 10 ($15) but why would you?
And if you order soon, you are assured delivery by early December.

And, for my writing colleagues, they are perfect little calendars to tuck away near a desk or on a bulletin board where the sayings will inspire you every day. Like this one from September:

Don't cry because it is over. Smile because it happened.
Dr. Seuss

And here's a sneak preview - February 2010:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are amazing. I love your blog. Thanks for writing about the Quaker Motto Calendar. Marion

Theodora "Teddie" said...

Thanks Augusta. You always have such interesting information on your blog.
I love the calendar and you chose a perfect month for an example. Now I know there's a full moon on my birthday next year. Should be a wild night. Ha!

Augusta Scattergood said...

Glad you like it. There aren't that many things in the world that look like they came straight from about 1930!

Unknown said...

a truly fine blog!

I am trying to figure out how to contact the Motto Calendar box virtually. I sent a check to the PO box but from my account directly.

Jean Harman

ellenjeanharman@hotmail.com

Augusta Scattergood said...

There is no website for the calendar. If you'd like to order, leave me a comment with your email and I'll send you the telephone number to call if you have questions or want to use a credit card. Thanks for your comment, Jean.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I neglected to order my calendars for 2010. Are they still available? Norval norvreece@aol.com 215-968-9481

Augusta Scattergood said...

There are still 2010 calendars available (as of 2/1/2010).

Use the address here on the blog.
Motto Calendar
PO Bo 1383
Pottstown, PA 19464

Minimum order=
10 calendars, with envelopes, $15
(w/o envelopes $14)

No additional charges!