Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Friday, March 30, 2012

Two Things I Love

Once upon a time. Okay it was Christmas before last to be specific. My sister-in-law sent us an amaryllis bulb from White Flower Farm. I tucked it into the pot and it grew to be quite beautiful. Inside my house in Florida. I even love the name: Dancing Queen.



Did I say I now live in Florida? I know nothing about growing tropical plants. But the bulb seemed healthy so I hid it behind a shady palm, near a fence, and promptly forgot about it. Till about a month ago. It was well on its way to having six blooms. I admired it often.



Then a Superhero spied it.


He karate-chopped the flower off. And gave it to me. Amazingly, it survived in a vase.





And continued to open its blooms for me to enjoy.
 Inside.
(Next to another Thing I love.)

I left the bulb, flowerless and sad, in its pot outside. Guess what happened?



Another blossom! And the flowers are still opening!
I hope it will survive another season.

I intend to put it in the ground, away from the fearless arm of Superhero.





So the two things I love today? Dancing Queen and Superhero.

 

4 comments:

Lee Stokes Hilton said...

Spectacular post. Like a really fun picture book. Clearly it's a miracle plant, but you do have to watch out for the superheroes.

Carol Baldwin said...

pretty post. I like Lee's comment! Superheroes have minds of their own!

Anonymous said...

Lucy and Grant love this story. They ask me to read it again and again.
Ivy

Augusta Scattergood said...

Thanks! Stay tuned next year to see if the bulb survives and blooms again.