Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Moms and Daughters, Reading Together.

Mother Daughter Book Clubs- what a terrific idea!

I'm especially delighted when I discover they're reading GLORY BE.

Just look at these adorable, smart girls.


Scholastic came up with some great discussion questions. Check out this link.

Also a recipe! There's a link on the site to a recipe for "Easy Lemon Cookies."

(Though I understand my friends in the picture ate Peach Cobbler. Yum!)

Book Clubs are near to my heart. And a great idea for summer reading. Kick back, make a pitcher of Bug Juice, Emma's Lemon Cookies or maybe Peach Cobbler, and read with your kids.

Happy Almost Summer! Thanks for reading, girls and moms. Thanks for sharing, Amy and Katie.


Here's a recipe for Emma's Lemon Cookies.

Iced Lemonade Wafers

½ C. (l stick) butter
 1 T. grated lemon rind
 ¼ t. almond extract
 1 C. flour
 ½ C. confectioners’ sugar
 1 T. cornstarch
 ¼ t. salt

Icing
 2/3 C. confectioners’ sugar
 2 – 2 ½ T. fresh lemon juice

Cream butter and beat in lemon rind and almond extract.

Sift together the flour, confect. sugar,cornstarch and salt.  Add to creamed mix and combine thoroughly. 

Divide into two parts and shape into two rolls about 1 ½ in diameter – flatten the ends, wrap in plastic wrap and chill at least an hour or up to a week. 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees – slice the rolls into about 15 slices each.  Bake on a lightly greased or ungreased non-stick sheet.  Bake from 8 – 10 minutes or until the edges start to brown.  Cool.

Make the icing by mixing the sugar and lemon juice and ice the cooled cookies.



(I borrowed the image from a gorgeous food blog. This is exactly what the cookies look like, but sadly I didn't take a picture at my Glory Party where they were last served. Now excuse me while I hotfoot it down to the kitchen to make a few...)

No comments: