Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Writerly Tips



One of my favorite, recently-read novels is THE ONE IN A MILLION BOY by Monica Wood.
(I've blogged about her fun writing book, THE POCKET MUSE here.)

 Her website is chock-full of good stuff.

This morning, while looking for something totally unrelated, I found this excellent advice there.




The new novel I have coming out shortly, The One in a Million Boy, is a big fat lesson in writerly persistence. I spent four years writing it, from 2004-2008, at which time I delivered it with great confidence only to have it rejected by my longtime publisher. Sparing you the details of devastation, I will say only that I put it aside for five years -- during which time I wrote a memoir and a play -- then resurrected it, spent about eight more months on it, and sold it almost literally overnight. Ergo, I have a big sign in my workspace, just one comforting word: 

WAIT. 

And, while you are waiting, write something else.

1 comment:

Carol Baldwin said...

Wait. I can remember that!!