Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Sunday, April 22, 2012

If ever you're in Houston...

And don't have uber-guide Bobby Moon and his wife Jeannie?



(pictured, on our brief walking tour, standing in front of the beautiful Chase Bank window)



Here are a few eating tips from the Food Guru of downtown (AKA Bobby J. Moon, my Cleveland High School buddy). Makes me want to hurry back.


1. Hubcap Grill, 1111 Prairie at Fannin....best HB in town! It's the sourdough type custom bun and never been frozen beef.

2. Treebeard's (How did I not know this was the word for Spanish moss)  at Market Square, in Christchurch Cathedral on Texas across from Hubcap Grill. Red beans, rice and smoked sausage... ALL things Cajun and more...Italian Cream Cake...go crazy here!

3. Supreme Sandwiches, Rusk and Milam, next to Subway... handmade sandwich, chips and soda....ask for free lettuce and tomatoes




Eating lunch with Bobby and sharing his Delta Daze yearbook.
Pretty funny pictures in that book...











Bobby brought friends and family to the reading at the fabulous Blue Willow Bookstore.













My Kent Place and Chatham friend, Patti Kiley also made the trek to Blue Willow. Thanks, Patti!



That's my Scholastic/ NJ  friend David Levithan checking out the autographed walls behind us.
I got to put my name way up high on those walls. So exciting to be in these amazing independent bookstores! Love them.




All books are divisible into two classes, the books of the hour, and the books of all time.
John Ruskin

5 comments:

Ramona said...

I moved from Houston fifteen years ago. Treebeards Restaurant -
what a delicious memory! Sounds like your visit was delicious too!

Augusta Scattergood said...

I still can't believe I've lived around Spanish moss my entire lifetime and never heard that- Treebeard!

Thanks for checking in, Ramona.

Kailyn Moon McIlhone said...

Hi Ms.Scattergood!
I am Kailyn, Bobby Moon's Niece. I was very excited to meet you at the Blue Willow Bookstore. I gave a signed copy to my school library and Ms. Jackson loved it!! I just finished Glory Be after finishing the STAAR test today. It was very good!!! I liked the chapter Old Lady Simpson Slams The Door! KEEP ON WRITING!!! <3 Kailyn

Augusta Scattergood said...

Thank you, Kailyn, for sharing my book with your librarian. What a special treat for me to meet you at Blue Willow. Your Uncle Bobby was very nice to introduce me to you and your family.

Beth J. said...

Gusty, you don't look as if this book tour is wearing you out one iota. Keep on keeping on, girlfriend! Enjoy!